White fungus, also known as snow fungus, silver fungus, 银耳，雪耳, is considered the best among all edible fungus/mushroom. It’s known to nourish, detox, improve appetite and respiratory system especially the lungs. It’s also believed to enhance immunity. White fungus are mainly used in desserts. Coupled with dried longan, black sugar and china barley, the following dessert is nourishing without too much ‘heat’ because of the china barley. Perfect for our humid weather! Continue reading
Entrance of the NLB Green Library – “My Tree House”.
Together with City Developments Limited (CDL), National Library Board (NLB) launched an unique green library – “My Tree House” – for kids. The concept of this green library evolves around cultivating our young ones about caring for the environment, with a tree house structure constructed with recyclable materials as the centerpiece. Continue reading
Moms want the best for their children. Not the best of the best, but the best they can for their children. I think that makes more sense. So those moms who are stressing over providing the best best for their children, stop and think again. Like I always say, a happy mom is a happy child.
“I’m on a diet. Potato is a no no.”
I have heard that a lot these few years. The truth is potato is NOT fattening! It’s the butter that you slather on your baked potato that’s causing you the trouble; it’s the melted cheese dip that you sink your roasted potato wedges, that’s the problem! Don’t look away! You know better.
Reasons why I love potatoes and you should too!
1. Potato has less than 0.1% fat. What makes it fattening is the cooking process and the tasty cheese/butter.
2. You can choose to steam, deep fry, pan fry, stir fry, mash, stew, boil or bake it!
3. You can serve it as appetizer, sides, main course, salad, snacks and even dessert!
4. It’s unprocessed carbs!
5. It’s filled with antioxidant goodness, rich in vitamin B1, B2 and B6.
6. You can use it for crafts!
7. It’s cheap!
8. It’s available all year long.
9. Kids love it! Especially in the foam of fries!
10. The best choice for one dish meal! Stew it with carrots, radish/cabbage, lean meat, onions, soy sauce and mirin for an hour, and it’s ready to serve! You have carbs, protein and vegetables in it!
One thing to note, once you see sprout on the potato, throw. It’s toxic, not only just the sprout, the whole potato is.
One morning, the little one ran into the kitchen, “Elmo naughty corner,” she said to me.
Puzzled and so I asked, “Elmo? Naughty corner?”
“He bit me! Elmo goes naughty corner,” she exclaimed like it’s a matter of fact.
Poor Elmo. I wonder how did Elmo bite her with that locked jaws and toothless mouth of his.
Before I gave birth to Leah, I had never step foot into a museum… Or maybe I did but only on some rare occasions during my NAFA years. So after Leah turned one, I asked around for activity ideas and that was when I learnt about Art Garden at Singapore Museum. Art Garden – Contemporary art fun for children – mainly targets at children but I’m sure adults will have their share of fun too. Unlike last year exhibits, this year’s offers more hands on crafts for the kids, which err… more verbal persuasion to move my kid along to the next exhibit. Continue reading